Full Mouth Debridement
The benefits of full mouth debridement
Plaque is a sticky, colorless film of food and bacteria that constantly forms on your teeth. If it is not removed every day, plaque hardens into tartar, and over time, plaque and tartar build-up on your teeth. A heavy buildup blocks our ability to clearly see and examine your teeth and gums.
It is also important to remove the accumulation of plaque and tartar because they are the main cause of tooth decay and gum disease.
Many factors can contribute to a heavy buildup, including—
- dry mouth, also called xerostomia
- tobacco use
- certain health conditions
- wearing braces
- poor homecare
- not getting regular professional dental cleanings
The debridement procedure
Depending on the situation, we may begin the procedure by recommending a numbing gel or offering nitrous oxide to make you more comfortable.
- Next, we use a variety of instruments to carefully remove the plaque and tartar above and around the gumline.
- We may also apply an antimicrobial rinse. Then we finish the procedure by carefully reviewing your homecare routine.
- A full mouth debridement is an important initial step in the ongoing evaluation and treatment of your oral health.
What Our Patients Say
Staff were amazing with my child and their was no wait we were right in and out!!!!!!
Every time I come in, everyone is friendly and professional. Dr. Bishop and his team are the best!
Our Six Month Smiles Dentist Office in Newark, DE
Have Questions About Six Month Smiles?
Fill out the form below and we will respond within 24 hours.