Oral Cancer Screening Examination
The signs of oral cancer
Oral cancer is the uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells in the mouth and throat.
- a red, white, or discolored patch or lump in or around your mouth
- a sore that bleeds easily or that does not heal within 2 weeks
- an area that has thickened, raised, or become hardened
- a rough patch of tissue
- difficulty chewing or swallowing
- a chronic sore throat or hoarseness
Oral cancer screening exam
During the exam, we feel for lumps or abnormal tissue changes on your neck and inside your mouth.
We thoroughly examine the soft tissues in your mouth, especially the most frequent oral cancer sites:
- your tongue
- the floor of your mouth
- your soft palate
- your lips
- your gums
We may also do additional testing or use specialized equipment to identify any suspicious areas, particularly if you’re at higher risk, such as adults over 40, anyone who uses tobacco, especially those who also drink alcohol excessively, or people who have had oral contact with the human papillomavirus.
Some lifestyle changes can minimize your chances of developing oral cancer changes including:
- Do not smoke or use smokeless tobacco
- Avoid excessive use of alcohol
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables each day
- With regular exams and a healthy lifestyle, you can better maintain your oral and overall health
What Our Patients Say
Staff were amazing with my child and their was no wait we were right in and out!!!!!!
Every time I come in, everyone is friendly and professional. Dr. Bishop and his team are the best!
Our Six Month Smiles Dentist Office in Newark, DE
Have Questions About Six Month Smiles?
Fill out the form below and we will respond within 24 hours.